Thursday, January 7

Two

November was a fun month. We had lots of company and stayed very busy with a crawling baby, so I didn't pay much attention to the fact that I was tired at 9:00pm. Then Joe took notice that every time we went to run errands, I had to use the restroom at each place we visited. Hummmmm?? So I thought, "maybe I'm pregnant" "Nahhh." Joe would say. So to put an end to the mystery I took a pregnancy test. 3 minutes later, one line, it was Negative. We were completely content. We weren't trying for another baby, we would prefer a little larger of a gap between Owen and #2.
So a week or two goes by. We enjoy more company, play tackle football on the beach, ya know the usual. Then I thought, "wait, I think I feel that stretching pain that I felt when I was pregnant with Owen and I think I'm "late". So...we decide I should take another pregnancy test to "put our minds at ease". 1 minute later, 2 lines, PREGNANT, with baby #2! It took 2 tests and 2 lines before we knew we're gonna have 2 kids! Shock! Really? How far a part will they be? Seriously? Owen's gonna be a big brother? No! For real?
Looking back, I'm not exactly sure why we were so shocked...all the signs were there! We told our family when they visited for Thanksgiving and then shared the news with some close friends this past weekend at a game night. I think that helped make it seem more real. We're going to have 2 kids...17 months a part. I know women have done it before, and I know several women who have kids even closer in age...I just never thought it would be me!
We're beginning to get excited. Seeing my great friends Emily and Wendell's 3 month old baby girl recently reminded me of how sweet, innocent, and adorable little ones are!
At my 12 week appointment today Owen and I got to hear #2's heartbeat. So sweet! Before I could even ask what the heart rate was (to "determine" if he/she is more likely to be a boy or girl) the Dr. exclaimed "Oh! The heart rate's 160...ITS A GIRL!" At that very moment, as if on cue Owen started to cry! I'm not kidding! It was too funny!
For those who are confused by the gender determination based on the heart rate check this out:
As the old wives' tale has it, if your unborn baby's heart rate is higher, above 140 beats per minute, that means you're carrying a girl. A lower heart rate below 140 bpm means you're having a boy.
I suppose the key words here are "old wives' tale". It's not completely accurate...what shocked me was the Dr. said a girl is her prediction! I usually believe what my Dr. says!
Obviously, Joe and I would be extremely pleased with any healthy baby...boy or girl! BUT, we would prefer a boy. We would love for Owen to have a lil' brother who he can be super close to, and we would really love for Matt and Elise (Joe's brother and wife) to have the first girl (it would be exciting for them, and we're not sure if we want that attention :-) BUT, obviously having a girl would be fun because it would be different. Who knows!!! I suppose this news helps me to become content with either a boy or a girl! The great news is, is we don't have to go much longer without knowing for sure...we have our 4D gender determination ultrasound scheduled for January 28th...less than 3 weeks away! We'll keep you posted! In the mean time, please keep Baby Graziano #2 in your prayers! :-) He/She is due July 19, 2010!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Ashley!! How exciting! My brother and I are 13 months apart...my mom said it was tough at first, but then she realized she would not have any other way. We are pretty close now, too, so boy or girl, I'm sure Owen and #2 will be close. I can't wait to find out what you are having. I will be praying for a wonderful pregnancy for you and another healthy little baby. :)

    ReplyDelete